Annual ryegrass can be planted almost year around. As long as nighttime temperatures are above 40 degrees and daytime temperatures are above 55 degrees, adequate germination and growth can be accomplished. Fall ... South: September through March, depending on location. Fall ... North: August through October. Spring: As soon as the temperatures are adequate. Can be frost seeded. If overseeding warm-season pastures, mow or graze warm-season grasses short before planting annual ryegrass to aid in establishment.
• Always take a soil test and consult your local extension service or fertilizer dealer for specific recommendations.
• Sowing: depending on the results of the soil test, a complete fertilizer such as 16-16-16 is helpful for establishment.
• Correct soil acidity, best between 5.5 and 7.
• A minimum of 30-40 units of nitrogen after each grazing or cutting will maximize forage production.
• Graze lightly when grass reaches 6 inches.
• Never graze below 3 inches.
• Short intensive grazing is ideal.
• Avoid grazing when frozen.
• Rotate out of grazing for 14-21 days.
• Never cut below 3 inches.
• Highest quality is at vegetative maturity.
• Optimum level of yield to quality ratio will usually maximize at boot stage.
lbs./acre Double Diamond 6,923 Trinova 6,580 Nelson 5,808 Big Boss 5,648 Prine 5,647
Louisiana (3 locations)
3 yr. ave. 2017-20
lbs./acre Double Diamond 8,019 Prine 7,908 Nelson 7,661 Earlyploid 7,477 Gulf 7,245
3 yr. ave. 2017-20
lbs./acre Double Diamond 7,957 Jackson 7,537 Nelson 7,290 Gulf 6,853 Prine 6,293
lbs./acre Double Diamond 3,509 Attain 3,161 Nelson 3,116 Grits 2,988 Marshall 2,843
Blackhawk arrowleaf clover was developed by Dr. G. R. Smith with Texas A&M Agrilife Research in Overton, Texas. Advanced dark seeded selections from Yucchi, Amclo, and...Learn More
Intermediate tetraploid ryegrass
Boost intermediate tetraploid ryegrass is an exciting new variety developed by OreGro research for producing high yields of highly nutritious, palatable forage. Whether...Learn More
Brea perennial ryegrass was developed by OreGro Research. An advanced generation synthetic cultivar, Brea was selected for dark green color, excellent turf density, and...Learn More
Chancellor chewings fescue is an improved variety developed by OreGro research. Exhibiting excellent texture and density, Chancellor is an excellent choice for lawns,...Learn More